Please could you hear your child read regularly.(Little and often is better than a long weekly session)
- Try and choose a quiet, comfortable place, and keep things relaxed.
- Always show an appreciation of your child's efforts.
- Sometimes read the words together to help the reading flow.
- If your child has difficulties, quietly read the word, or part of story to them--this will help with continuity and understanding and reduce feelings of failure.
- Give your child time to think or to self-correct mistakes-encourage them to read for meaning.
- Encourage your child to look for clues to unknown words (picture clues, first letter sound, making sense of the sentence.)
- STOP if you or your child begins to feel tense.
- Please use reading record book to make positive comments and sign when you hear your child read.
- Most of all, show interest, praise and encouragement
Thank you for your help!